Consider Paradigm Shift towards Renewable Energy – Power & Petroleum Boss Tasks Engineers

Latest News

Consider Paradigm Shift towards Renewable Energy – Power & Petroleum Boss Tasks Engineers

The Commissioner for Power & Petroleum Development, Dr John James Etim, has tasked the Nigerian Institution of Power Engineers (NIPE) to begin considering a paradigm shift towards renewable energy in Akwa Ibom State.

Dr, Etim gave this task while playing host to the Executive Members of NIPE, Uyo Chapter, who had visited him in his office.

Also Read: Invest In Education To Reclaim Your Influential Political, Economic Status – Udom Inoyo Tells Oro Nation

He said considering the global shift towards renewable energy option, it was high time that Nigeria began exploring that direction.

Flanked by his Permanent Secretary, Dr. Valerie Obot, he stated that even in climes where electricity supply was constant, they were still exploring this option.

According to him, not only is it environmentally friendly, but it is also cheaper.

Bringing his message home, he opined “… we in Akwa Ibom State need to gear up towards the efforts of the State Government, in a bid to actualise its dream on consistent power supply for its people,” the renewable energy option complementing the conventional means of power supply.

The Commissioner urged members of NIPE, especially, those from his Ministry, to put in their best in initiating new ideas and innovations, aimed at proffering solutions to the epileptic power supply currently witnessed, despite Government effort.

While promising to partner them in the actualisation of Governor Emmanuel’s dream to make power available for all, Dr. Etim said his role was to co-ordinate the efforts and skills of every Stakeholder in the Power Sector, including those of NIPE.

Commissioner Etim used the occasion to remind the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHEDC) of the enormous work of ensuring adequate electricity, charging them to rise to the challenge of improving the standard of power supply.

Earlier, the Uyo Chapter Chairman of NIPE, Engr. Benedict Edenseting, commended Governor Udom Emmanuel for his interest in prioritising power as a critical infrastructure in changing the status of the State to a commercial hub.

He, however, stated that “…the Nigerian Renewal Energy Master Plan (NREMP), which seeks to increase the supply of renewal electricity from 13% of the total electricity generation in 2015 to 23% in 2025 and 36% 2030 was more of a paper work than reality.”

While encouraging “governments at all levels to embrace the initiative of renewable energy,” Engr. Edenseting said his institution was ready to collaborate with the State Government, through the Ministry of Power & Petroleum, to evolve the development of such sub-target.”

Comparing the importance of electricity to what blood is to the human system, he opined “… for a robust, viable and functional economy, government must, as a matter of necessity, improve on its approach and policy in the electrical energy value chain which include Generation, Transmission and Distribution.”

The Chairman used the occasion to officially invite the Commissioner to their forthcoming Investiture/Inauguration of new leadership of their profession on the 24th April, 2021.

Also speaking, the Director of Power in the Ministry, Engr. Effiong Antigha, reiterated the Ministry’s readiness to partner them in a robust relationship, aimed at improving the power transmission in the State.